Skip to main content

Resentments and Regrets

I've managed to live my life with very little to no regret. Sure, I have looked back and regretted things, but quickly told myself that there was no need to regret anything because the experience has made me a better person. Regret is not always easy to move passed or push forward from. You tend to get stuck in the past and with the wouldacouldashoulda's of life.

Like I said, there wasn't much in life I regretted. Now, here I am full of regrets and trying not to be resentful. I met an amazing man almost 3 years ago. He was everything I wanted and more. I had no choice but to fall for him. I had no choice but to trust him wholly despite every fiber of my being fighting against it. He doesn't believe that. But that's not what I'm writing about. Regrets, I seem to have plenty lately.

List of Regrets:
1) Holding Out That First Night... 'Because I wanted him to respect me in the morning'
    I never should have listened to his pretty words and empty promises. Never should have thought to myself  "I want more with this man than just messin' around" (I never did get to go to that Giants game or anything of that sort)

2) Allowing myself to emotionally and financially rely on him.
    Never before him had I ever relied on somebody so much. In all my previous relationships I had been the breadwinner. The one who held things together. I couldn't fathom not being the one solely responsible for everything. He told me everything was going to be ok and I believed him. Now look where I am.

3) Trusting him
    Contrary to his popular belief I trusted him. WHOLLY. I put my life in his hands and let him have at it. I gave him my heart and he tore it to pieces.

4)Not being able to effectively communicate with the man I love and hold so dear in my heart.
    I don't know where it all went wrong. If it was my problem. His problem. Or a little bit from Column A and a lil' from Column B. Probably the latter of 3. I have a strong personality. One that is not easily dealt with at all times. I like to play Devil's Advocate and am taken to seriously at times. He didn't like making decisions and took my debates as if it were set in stone. He came to believe there was no pleasing me and that there never would be. He gave up and I kept trying.

5) Staying, Leaving and coming back.
    I stayed longer than i should have. Knowing the path our relationship was following. I thought it could be fixed. That something would change. I'm tenacious and I don't like to give up. Failure is not an option, nor is it a word in my dictionary. I strive on fortitude and believed I possessed the strength to make him happy. Sadly I was wrong. I left, maybe I shouldn't have left. Especially the way I did the first time. Then, I came back. He asked me to, I thought he truly wanted me there. Now, I see he was just trying to fill a void in his own life. He thought I might fit that. He believed I was unfair and I agreed with him (even though deep down I knew what i had done was right) I caved. Listened to his empty promises again and caved. He is my weakness.

6) Not making certain concessions.
     Okay, so I don't like to back down at times. Especially if I know for fact I am right. There is no use arguing with me when I believe of know for fact I am not wrong. There are times where I like to believe we live in a fair and just world and that everyone operates on principle. So, when it came to principle I could have backed down and not been so harsh. (I'll have to work on that)

7) Allowing myself to be emotionally vulnerable.
    After Rob's passing I had become a stone wall. I didn't allow myself to become attached, especially emotionally attached, to another human being. I felt I'd be setting myself up for pain. Pain I did not want to deal with. Pain I was not ready to deal with.

I resent him for all of the above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On having Strength

Growing up I had always been known as the strong one. The person in the family who didn't show their feelings through a crisis as to keep everything together. It was a very brittle strength. I never felt as if I had an outlet for all the hurt I was feeling.So I always bottled my feelings up never allowing myself to feel much. Never really allowing myself to cry or to be seen crying. Five years ago that strength finally cracked. My ex-fiancĂ©e died and I was lost. I didn't know what to do with myself. I was beside myself. I had invested almost 5 years of my life into him. After he died, I went and did things to cover up the pain. Never really dealing with it. I had based so much of who I was on our relationship that when he passed away I felt like I had died. My family tried to be supportive but all I could do was push them away. I had never dealt with such anguish before. I felt vulnerable and scared. Immediately, I erected some what of a labyrinth and fortress around me. Peop

Diary of a Mending Heart

My first instinct was to title this blog "Diary of a Broken Heart", seeming as how recent and very current events had left my heart, mind, soul and psyche in such a state. Upon much contemplation, I discovered that if I allowed myself to dwell upon the broken heart that it would remain as such. So, here we are chronicling my life and re-birth. For those that do not know the back story or any history, I'll start from the beginning. But that begs the question of; "Where does this all really start?" Which is a REALLY good question. Let's just start with the past 2 years, I'm sure we'll wind up further back in my life as I write these blogs and continue on my journey. I'm certain there will be correlations between my childhood, previous relationships, friendships and my current marriage for this to all tie together. Two years ago I was a different person than I am today. If you asked me to characterize the woman I was then I would have to say s
“ The sacrifice which causes sorrow to the doer of the sacrifice is no sacrifice. Real sacrifice lightens the mind of the doer and gives him a sense of peace and joy. The Buddha gave up the pleasures of life because they had become painful to him. ” Sacrifice. Who measures a sacrifice? Who's right is it to measure the sacrifice? The person who makes the sacrifice or the people the sacrifice is being made for? I wish I knew.